Monday, February 13, 2012

Playing catch up...again.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm cooking a whole lot this month week. This is me right now:
I'm 39 weeks pregnant. Which means I'm kind of into couscous and crock pots and other next-to-no effort meals. And boxed mac and cheese and pre-made cookie dough, but we're going to ignore that part, if you don't mind.

So I'm going to dig through the ridiculous number of photos of food I have around and try and just catch up with everything I meant to post but didn't, because I was obviously too busy discovering new ways to get Ramona to pose in human-esque poses while I take photos of her focusing on preparing my house for the baby invasion.

So. Here you go. First up is a one dish chicken tamale casserole. I love tamales..this isn't exactly the same flavor, but it's a decent substitute for a quick fix. And about a zillion times easier.


Tamale Casserole

1 cup shredded 4-cheese blend (reduced fat is ok)
1/3 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup Southwest style Egg-beaters
1 tsp cumin
red chile flakes to taste (1/4 to 1/2 tsp)
1 can creamed corn
1 regular box (8.5 oz) corn muffin mix
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (4oz) chopped green chiles
1 can (10oz) red enchilada sauce
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
light sour cream or greek yogurt
chopped green onion

Heat oven to 400.
Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Mix the enchilada sauce with the chicken and set aside.

Combine 1/4 cup cheese with milk, egg, cumin, red chile, corn, muffin mix, salt and green chiles, and stir very gently until just combined. Pour into baking dish, and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, and use a fork to puncture the whole thing a bunch of times all over. Pour chicken mixture over it, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Put back into oven and cook another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let sit a few minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream and green onion on top. (And more cheese, if you're into cheese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment