Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I love deceptively simple dinners.

As my entire life revolves around what time Lil E needs to be fed (every two hours during the day. Still.) I either have to plan dinners that I can prep in advance or that take next to no time to throw together.

This pork roast looked and tasted far more involved than it was-I just whisked together the glaze ingredients and salad dressing, boiled and drained potatoes, then got the meat in the oven before I sat down with him. By the time the Worlds Longest Eater was done, so was everything else-I put Hubby in charge of checking the meat, and it came out perfectly.

All I had to do was mash potatoes, slice the pork, and chop an apple, and dinner was on the table. You can use lamb for this, or substitute plain apricot or other preserves if you prefer.

Apricot-Pineapple Pork Roast
2 lb pork roast (or bigger. Or smaller. Whatever.)
Cinnamon
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup pineapple/apricot preserves
Good squirt brown mustard (less than a tbsp)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp soy sauce (low sodium)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Combine preserves, garlic, mustard, soy and Worcestershire. Sprinkle roast well with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook at 350 for approx 30 min, then brush with glaze. Cook another 10-20 minutes or until 145 inside (Approx. 20 min a pound. Or be lazy like me and buy a roast with one of those magic pop-out things in it). Remove, brush with more glaze, and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with more glaze on top. I placed on a simple sweet potato mash (sweet potatoes cooked in salted water and then mashed with margarine) and a salad with apples, cranberries, goat cheese and homemade apricot-pineapple vinaigrette (equal parts preserves, olive oil and apple cider vinegar plus some fresh pepper and a dash of mustard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment