Monday, June 25, 2012

The return of the pantry meal

My fridge is pretty bare...we were going out of town for a couple days, so I didn't want to over do it with the shopping or with the cooking (aka with the leftovers).

I bought these mushroom ravioli things at the store last week, and have been trying to think of a non-cheese, non-tomato based sauce to serve with them. We had garlic and we had shallots, so i figured that was a good start...the rest I winged.

I love/hate reductions. They taste so good, but I generally get caught up doing dishes/checking email/watching whatever game Hubby's watching, and end up burning the shit out of it half of the time.

Ok, most of the time. But I watched this one like a hawk, expecting disaster, and this time it worked (yay me!). Sweet and sour and savory...it was a good mix.


Mushroom Ravioli with Garlic Balsamic Reduction
1 package mushroom ravioli (any brand)
6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
Olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 broth (I used beef)
Salt and pepper
Honey

Heat a splash of oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and shallots and sauté about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and broth. Let come to a boil, and reduce heat slightly to simmer.

(at this point, get your pasta cooking. Drain and set aside once it's done. )

Watch the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has started thickening and has reduced to about half the amount. Squeeze in a little honey (the better quality the vinegar, the less you'll need. I have organic but cheap vinegar and used maybe a tsp of honey), and sprinkle in a pinch of pepper and salt.

Add in drained pasta and toss gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment