Monday, September 20, 2010

Sorry, honey, but sun-dried tomatoes win.

I've been working on a jar of sun-dried tomatoes for quite awhile now. But when I'm the only one in the house that likes them, there are only so many excuses I have to dig in.

So, in true passive fashion, I decided to go ahead and just use them and not tell Hubby. Not that I think he's incapable of looking at a piece of chicken and realizing what the tangy, deep red additions are...I just wasn't in the mood to cook two versions of the same dish. I did go ahead and add an extra tbsp or so to my leftover portion, which only made it that much better. Mmmmm. I so love those oily little dehydrated suckers.

Oh, and his reaction? "...are these sun-dried tomatoes?" That was it. No complaints, no whining. He's good like that.

This is a twist on my normal stuffed chicken-rather than do a side slit, I did a lengthwise slit down the top, so the mix sat more on top than inside...if that makes any sort of sense at all.

For the rice, I sauteed half an onion (chopped) in a bit of olive oil, mixed in a cup of brown rice, then cooked it in 2+ cups of broth for 40 minutes.


Spinach, Tomato and Almond Stuffed Chicken
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large or 3-4 medium)
About 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach (I used leftover frozen spinach, defrosted)
1-2 tbsps chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
(If you have plain, just heat them in a dry skillet over medium, moving frequently, until brown)
1 oz or so blue or gorgonzola cheese (or goat or whatever)
Oregano, about 1/2 tsp
S&P
Half an onion, sliced
1/2 cup broth

Make slits down chicken breasts big enough to hold filling.

In bowl, combine spinach, tomatoes, almonds, cheese, oregano, and some salt and pepper to taste (good pinch each or more).

In large skillet, heat a bit of olive oil (1tsp or so) and add onions. Let caramelize down (cook without messing much with them) over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until they start turning golden brown. In the meantime, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and arrange tomato mix in the slits.

When onion is ready, add chicken to skillet, filling side up. Let brown over medium high for 2 or 3 minutes, then add broth and bring to a low boil. Cover, and let cook about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve chicken and onions over rice.


See, not only does it taste better with more tomato, it's more colorful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment