Wednesday, September 1, 2010

East coast steamers, west coast style.

I love everything about steamer platters but the name. Well, and the price. So when seafood's on sale, I figure it's the best time to recreate at home. You know, go big. Take advantage...cause long story short, I love seafood. This was my first try...I'm not disappointed, even having used defrosted seafood.

West Coast Steamer

Medium onion, chopped
About 6-8 garlic cloves, peeled but whole
2 tsp or so olive oil
1/2 tbsp butter
Smoked paprika (or you can use a sliced kielbasa. Those are strange options, but all I've got. I'm sorry.)
About 1tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
Small baby red potatoes, about 2 lbs, washed
2 ears of corn, cut in thirds
One package raw shrimp, deveined, shells on
Package frozen bay scallops, thawed
Crab legs (as much as you can afford, I can't usually do more than a lb.)
Any other seafood you want, in one inch or so cubes.
1.5 cups of white wine
Salt, lemon to taste

Heat olive oil and butter in a soup pot. Add onion, sauté a couple minutes. Add garlic cloves. Sauté all for about 10 min. Layer down the potatoes and corn.



Add seafood; shrimp, then scallops and other seafood, then crab.


Poor wine over everything, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce a bit to medium. Cook about 15 min or until potatoes are done.

Remove everything and put in serving dish, saving broth. Season broth as you like, with salt, garlic, lemon, etc. Pour broth over platter.



You'll need bread for this one. It's soppy.

I took a photo of the "after," but I'm ashamed to post it. Let's just say...delicious.


-posted out of laziness from my iPhone.

1 comment: