Friday, April 1, 2011

Sorry, Borders.

Bankruptcy sucks, it really does. But I'm not above taking advantage of your misfortune...


All the important stuff-especially since we're currently searching for a new car and a new puppy (compact SUV and boxer/and or lab...we're open to suggestions on each). Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed in the cookbook options-first of all, they were only marked down like 20%-and kind of picked through. (As to be expected for a going-out-of-business sale) I did, however, find this beaut:


I'm a sucker for the Sandra Lee cooking philosophy, and chicken is pretty much my go-to meat, so it was an easy sell.

Unfortunately, the first shot wasn't the best. Probably my fault, since I read the directions wrong and used too much sherry, but even still, it required far too much post-recipe Sriracha and honey to make it work, and I honestly wasn't paying enough attention to actually give a recipe for all the fixes, so I choose to pass on tonight's attempt until I get to call a re-do. Cause Kung Pao needs some practice...


Good, not great. Once it's great, I'll let you know. Until then, here's the actual recipe for you to play with.

Kung Pao Chicken
Food & Wine Books
24oz chicken breast, cut into 1/2 in cubes
5 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp white wine/rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp cooking (canola) oil
1/2 cup peanuts or cashews
4 scallions in 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Toss chicken with 1 tbsp each of cornstarch, soy sauce, and sherry.

In small bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, water, 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sherry, 2 tsp corn starch.

In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat. Add nuts and stir fry until light brown, about 30 seconds. Remove.

Add remaining oil. Add chicken mixture and cook til almost done, about 2 minutes. Add sou sauce mixture and scallions and simmer until chicken is done, about 1-2 more minutes. Stir in peanuts.


-posted out of laziness from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment