Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's especially good on Sundays.

Lots and lots of people are football fans. I'm...not. My dad never watched it (which partially may have to do with him being the only male in the house...he likes to say the house was composed of three chiefs and one Indian. My dad's a saint.) and most of the old boyfriends weren't big fans, so I wasn't ever really exposed to it.

The husband, however, is another story. So I'm trying. After five years of watching football all Sunday, and three years of working six hours every Saturday as the clock operator for a youth football league, I'm starting to understand some of the rules. The point, however, still escapes me.

The husband isn't Mr. Football with the Guys, fortunately, but he still wants to watch. All. Day. Long. So we made a deal long ago that since Sunday is the only full day we get to hang out together, I'd suck it up and watch football with him as long as we could do it somewhere I was also entertained. I'm easy in that regard...I need food, and I need drinks. So whether we go to brunch at El Portal (cheapest, best Mexican champagne brunch this side of town) or hang at home, I get to do my three favorite things—eat, drink, and hang with the hubby.

Here's what I like about watching football at home: I don't have to wear shoes, I never have to wait for the bathroom, I can drink free Bloody Marys*, and I can entertain myself by making appetizers, Campechana being the choice for today.

After discovering Campechana (seafood cocktail) at our favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican place, I'm obsessed with it, and I was determined to figure out the recipe. I finally got it right—the only thing that makes it different, as far as we can tell, is that they use octopus, and I use crab. Yes, I take the easy route. I'm just not that dedicated, I guess. It still tastes fantastic.

It's awesome with a spoon, a beer, and side of blue corn tortilla chips. Makes about 6 servings.


Campechana
BTW, I'm an eyeball cook...please don't expect exact measurements from me...

1/2 package artificial crab, chopped roughly and separated
3/4 pound cooked shrimp, chopped roughly (whole bay shrimp work, too)
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 of a cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/4 of a red onion, chopped fairly fine
2 large stalks of celery, chopped
One avocado, chopped (squeeze some lime over it if you can)
Big handful of cilantro, chopped
Spicy Clamato juice (or add a tablespoon of hotsauce-Tapatio is great-to regular Clamato.)
Slices of lime or lemon

Combine everything through cilantro in a big bowl. Add enough Clamato to cover plus a bit, so it's just a bit soupy. Add citrus to taste. Can be served at room temp or chilled.
About 135 calories a serving, 8g fat, 1.5g fiber, 14g carbs, 13g protein

*I can't take credit for this one, but it serves as my Bloody Mary muse. I sipped on this one at The Rooftop bar in Laguna Beach, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment