Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Do we like okra?

If you're like me, your parents grew up with Midwestern parents...who, in turn, never introduced okra into your life.(If not, pretend with me. The point is coming soon.)

Now, I know this is a southern food...cornmeal battered fried okra is kind of amazing, I've found...but I'm not from the south. I'm a Kansas/Oklahoma/ Southern Cali breed. And there's no okra in Southern Cali.

So. When I wanted to try and make this for the first time a couple years ago, I had to rely on the infinite wisdom of my husband to teach me. And let's be honest...that's a whole new realm in itself. But it's true, he knows better than me in some areas. Marinara and lasagna (thanks to his Italian side), curry (thanks to the Indian/Burmese/Texas in-law side) and, well, a whole lot else. Okra included, thankfully. Cause this ish is delicious.


Okra Tomato Stew
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion, chopped
12oz boneless/skinless chicken breast, sliced or chopped
Chicken bouillon cube
Water
1 can stewed or diced tomatoes
1 package frozen okra
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes
Turmeric
chili pepper, minced (optional)
Cilantro, to top
Sriracha, to serve

Rice:
1 tbsp(or less) olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth

Saute garlic and onion about 5 minutes or until soft. Add chicken, saute a few minutes a side until white on outside. Add bouillon cube and about one cup water, canned tomatoes, and okra. Bring to a boil. Add about a 1/2 tsp salt and as much pepper as you like (at least 1/8-1/4 tsp), 1 tsp or so turmeric, and chili flakes to taste (I do a good shake).

Reduce to low. Cover. Cook about 20 min. Season to taste. (I use a bit of salt and some Sriracha)

In the meantime, cook the rice: In rice pan, heat olive oil, saute garlic a couple minutes. Add rice. Saute about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to low, cook 15 min. Let sit a few minutes, fluff with fork before serving.

Serve chicken mix over rice.

1 comment:

  1. We just discovered pickled okra this summer and it is delicious! Pair it with some salami, cheese and a bloody mary and you have the breakfast of champions!

    ReplyDelete