Thursday, November 18, 2010

Six ingredients(ish) or less.

I love Italian Wedding Soup. I make it every chance I get...but as we're counting calories again, I wanted to make something in between that and my fave simple chicken/cabbage soup recipe, thinking I could avoid pasta if I combined cabbage and meatballs. It worked. Easy, yummy, great for sickies like me (I have a never-ending cold).

Oh, and I don't count S&P, fish sauce or sriracha as ingredients, cause the first two are totally to taste. And the fish sauce is optional.

And so, here we go.

"Thai" Wedding Soup
Half to one head of cabbage, roughly chopped
12-14 cups chicken broth
One package lean ground turkey
One egg
About 4 large cloves garlic, minced
Dried basil, about a tsp
S&P, good pinch each
Sriracha, at least 1 tsp
Fish sauce, about a tbsp or so

Heat broth in stock pot til boiling. In the meantime, mix turkey, garlic, egg, and basil in a large bowl (use your hands).

Once broth is boiling, roll medium large meatballs (less than 2 inches across) between your hands, and drop slowly into soup. Let boil slowly about 15 minutes, then stir in sriracha, cabbage and fish sauce. Cook another 10 minutes or until cabbage is cooked.

______________

Once that short-list meal panned out (and fed me for 5 meals over 3 days), I decided to try again with chicken. I figure stuffing is always easy and quick, so I could use the opportunity to play...and baked goat cheese stuffed chicken with proscuitto sounded like a winner.



Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
6 thin slices prosciutto
2 6oz chicken breasts
2 oz herbed goat cheese
S&P, a pinch each
honey (1 tbsp ish)
balsamic vinegar, about 3 tbsp
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oven to 425, Arrange three pieces of prosciutto side by side. Take one piece of chicken and make a slit longways. Stuff with 1 oz of goat cheese. sprinkle with salt and pepper, then wrap the chicken with the prosciutto. Repeat with other breast. Spray both with olive oil spray, place on roast rack (or cookie sheet) and cook for about 25-30min or until cooked through.

If you want to try a balsamic glaze on it, heat the honey, vinegar and pepper over medium high until it reduces a bit (5 min+) Pour over chicken (and rice, etc.)



-posted out of laziness from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment