Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Best Yet Chicken Curry

You know what's amazing? I prepped everything for dinner last night (chopped potatoes, onion, garlic and ginger then measured out all the spices) and then settled in the living room to get some work done before I started cooking...and I kept getting enticed by some serious aromas wafting my way. It smelled amazing, and nothing was even cooking...No wonder my house always reeks smells like spice for 2 days after we make curry.

I've posted some curry recipes before, but Hubby told me this was my best yet (of all time! Hooray!) and so I felt I owed y'all the recipe. I'm calling this Indian curry, but I actually used Cambodian curry powder, as it was all we have right now. I'm really not 100% sure what the differences between the two are...I do know that the Cambodian stuff is a tad sweeter and often is used in coconut based curries, much like Thai curry, but it worked just fine for this dish, and I wouldn't worry about the difference too much. Use what you've got or can find.

Oh, and Hubby is convinced that if we keep feeding me spicy food, the kid will end up a fan, so it's been a bit of a trend lately. (I even added garlic pickle to mine to amp it up, but that's totally me.) This one is spicy, so adjust the cayenne accordingly, or top with some extra yogurt and lime at the end if it's too hot.


Chicken Indian Curry
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, peeled and chopped small
4 garlic cloves, minced
about 1 inch of ginger root, peeled and minced
1 heaping tbsp curry powder
1 heaping tsp cumin
1 heaping tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne (less or none if you prefer less heat)
1 tsp garam masala (see note below)
1.5 cups chicken broth
1/2 a 15oz can diced tomatoes
3 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped about 3/4in thick
1/2 cup greek or plain yogurt
handful cilantro, chopped
chopped green onion
lime wedges
Hot cooked basmati rice to serve

NOTE: If you don't have garam masala and don't want to buy it, you can either make your own or just use a bit more cumin and 1/2 tsp all spice.

Heat olive oil over high heat in large stock pot. Sprinkle chicken with salt, then add to pot and cook about 3 minutes a side or until browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic and ginger, and saute about 3 minutes. In small bowl, combine all the spices (curry through masala) and about 1 tsp salt and add a splash of broth, mixing to make a thick paste. Add paste to onion saute, and continue cooking another 2 minutes.

Add chicken (and any juices that have joined it), tomatoes, potatoes, and the rest of the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are cooked (taste one).

Turn off heat and stir in yogurt and a tbsp or so of chopped cilantro. Add salt as needed.

Serve over rice with lime (the juice will cut the heat), and top with a sprinkle of green onion and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment