Monday, August 1, 2011

Look at me baking.

Toaster ovens are not the same as ovens. They don't cook as evenly, the food is generally too close to the heat source, and they're damn small. But when your regular oven doesn't work...well, you use what you've got, even if it means cooking 5 batches of cookies cause you can only fit 6 on a sheet at a time.

I was craving macaroons...and I needed to use the rest of the coconut in the fridge before it went bad. If coconut goes bad...actually, I have no idea. But it must. Anyway, turns out the toaster oven worked just fine, even if it did take 3 times as long as it needed to. (Using the convection setting is much more effective than the toaster setting, btw. In general, I mean...cookies, it/I can handle. Toast, not so much.)

Oh, and if you have a low-fat recipe for macaroons, send it my way, wouldya? These get compliments galore, but they are not good for my ass.


Chewy Coconut Macaroons

1 egg white, beaten with a whisk until foamy
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (use two tsp of vanilla if you don't have almond)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (if they have fat-free, use it)
1 14oz bag shredded coconut

Combine all ingredients in large bowl (I beat the egg in it and then added everything to it).

Heat oven to 350.

Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray. Using a spoon or your hands, make balls about 1 inch across or so, and drop onto sheet. Cook each batch 15-20 minutes or til they turn golden brown. Remove immediately from sheet using a spatula and transfer to a cooling rack. They'll be soft, so don't worry too much if they don't stay together perfectly. Let cool. Makes about 30 cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment