Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sleep when he sleeps, my ass. I've got shit to do.

I so hate to brag, but I'm writing this with one hand. Because you know what's hard to do while holding/feeding a four week old?

Everything.

So you know what else is amazing? In the past 36 hours I've:

• Done three loads of laundry (and even folded/put away one of them...so far)
• Taken two showers (one with shampoo and a blow-dry)
• Put make-up on (once)
• Gone to the post office
• Bought coffee at 7-11
• Gotten Lil' E in the Bjorn all by myself*
• Gotten five freelance jobs prepped and ordered
• Bought cereal and wine at Fresh & Easy
• Picked up my paycheck (my 'leave'check, I should say)
• Eaten one meal while it was still hot
• Kept the bear cub fed, alive, bathed and mostly** dry
• Oh, and most importantly***, I baked Snickerdoodles

Normally, I could probably do all of these things during, like, an episode of Desperate Housewives. Which, that reminds me, I actually watched while feeding the cub one of his 13 meals yesterday.

*Photo actually taken 2 weeks ago on our first outing, but my mom says I look rested and pretty. I call that "sunglasses." This is actually today. How is he that much bigger in 2 weeks??
**I cloth diaper part-time. They do not keep him dry. I imagine it's like sleeping in a warm, wet towel. Nasty.
***Ok, maybe this shouldn't take precedence over my child's well-being. But you don't know how badly I wanted a cookie. Also, it's baking. It's gross how much I've been doing this lately.

Did everyone but me realize that Snickerdoodles are just butter cookies rolled in cinnamon and sugar? I've always loved them, but never thought to make them. I thought they'd be more of a hassle than they were worth. I was wrong.


Snickerdoodles
1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour (I mixed white and wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
! cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp or so of vanilla
1 tsp or so of cinnamon
1/4 cup or so sugar

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

In a larger bowl, combine butter and sugar, beating until creamy. I used a hand mixer and it was a pain in the ass. I imagine you could also do it by hand or in a stand up mixer. Whatever gets it done.

Add egg and mix in completely. Beat in vanilla, then add flour mixture a bit at a time until dough is combined. It should be really thick and fairly hard. Cover with plastic wrap and stick in the fridge for an hour of so.

Heat oven to 375.

Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon on a plate or shallow dish. Pull off small pieces of dough and roll into small balls (an inch or so across) with your hands. Roll each ball in the sugar mixture and place on cookie sheet. A dozen should fit on each sheet-recipe makes 2 dozen.

Using your hand, the bottom of a glass or a spatula, press each ball down to flatten out a bit. Cook at 375 for 10 minutes. Cool a few minutes before transferring to wire rack. Or just eat them all hot, either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment