Friday, October 9, 2009

When the tomato-hater is away...

So, big thumbs down to Trader Joe's today...I decided what I wanted for dinner was pasta, so I stopped by on the way home to pick up a bag of their brown rice penne. Apparently, however, the manufacturer thought the current batch was sub-par and took them all back (though it's hard to be mad about that, I suppose. I'm a fan of quality.) Anyway, it led to a change of plans.

Rice Sticks. Not the same. Great for Pad Thai and other random Asian dishes...not great for much else. So I figured I better go for flavor and match it with something good. And since the husband is off doing football, I had the chance to use one of my fave ingredients that he refuses to like...sun-dried tomatoes. I love them. Always an easy way to dress up pasta, chicken, and all kinds of stuff. Why he dislikes them I'm not entirely sure. I'm hoping he'll come around eventually. Maybe I should start sneaking them in...

So, anyway, that's what I did. I had already made enough tough decisions today. Netflix kindly delivered disc one of last season's Grey's Anatomy on the same day it delivered disc two of season one of Gossip Girl. It was a killer, but I finally went with the one a dirty martini would go best with. XOXO!

And since I've covered all my bases today with breakfast, lunch, and now dinner coverage, I'm skipping the dessert entry. Let's just say I recently discovered chocolate Chex, and leave it at that.

Also, as an update...my house still smells like scallops. Not ok. Which is part of the reason I tried to cook with lots of garlic tonight. When you can't beat 'em...


Sun-dried tomato, artichoke & garlic pasta for one.
One serving pasta, cooked (not rice sticks!)
olive oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced (or more, I actually used 5)
about 5 dried tomatoes, sliced or chopped. (If oil packed, rinse them well first)
4 artichoke hearts, quartered (I used non-marinated, but marinated would work)
salt and pepper
parmesan or romano cheese

Saute the garlic in about a tablespoon olive oil for 2 minutes. Add sun-dried tomato and artichoke, saute until hot. Add pasta, mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a healthy pinch of parmesan or romano cheese on top.
About 440 calories, 13g fat, 68g carbs, 7g fiber, 10g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment