Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Saucy!

I'll admit, I'm a little intimidated by homemade pasta sauce. For one, I can buy awesome sauce in a jar for like 3 bucks. Even though we typically still add fresh garlic and onion, it's seriously too easy. And for another, the hubby makes great homemade sauce, so I don't like to out-do him.

Except I totally do, I'm just afraid I won't.

Which is why I had to share my latest concoction, which I thought was a total success. Maybe not as good as the husband's...or Giada's...but this is my blog, damnit.

I didn't take a pic cause y'all know what marinara looks like. But in case you need one...thanks, Veer.

Homemade Mushroom Marinara
Olive Oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
half an onion, chopped finely
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
About 2 tbsp tomato paste
dried basil
dried oregano
red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
About a tsp balsamic vinegar (or a tbsp sugar, either work)

Saute garlic and onion in a splash of oil, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, sauce and paste until mixed well. Add about a tsp each of basil and oregano, and about a 1/2 tsp each red pepper and salt, and about 1/4tsp pepper.

Bring to a simmer, add mushrooms and balsamic. Cover and let simmer on low as long as you want to, really, up to about an hour. I do about 30 minutes. I'm not blessed with patience...
In the whole pot, about 450 cals, 9g fat, 18g fiber, 17g protein, 78g carbs. Split it up as you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment