Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tomorrow, I remove myself from the couch.

I'm trying to get better, I swear. I'm just an impatient patient. On Sunday, I hid under sunglasses and a ponytail and painfully made the trek to the store for juice. And collapsed back on the couch immediately upon return. Yesterday, after basically two and a half days couped up inside, I made myself go into the office for a change of scenery...my AD sent me home 2 hours later. Apparently I'm not useful when I'm hacking up lungs while staring confusedly at my monitor.

And so today was another day on the couch. I'm out of new Netflix discs to watch, so I finally tried the Watch Instantly function online. They don't have a ton of options, but I saw Smart People (eh, the story never got deep enough to matter), Confessions of a Shopaholic (I think it made me dumber. I almost turned it off twice...I sadly had nothing better to do), and Jesus Camp (I told the hubby I was watching a horror film). Kept me entertained, at least.

But after that much sitting my back is killing me, so I sucked it up a bit ago and took the chance that yoga would help more than hurt. Half an hour has never passed more slowly in my life. It was like the never-ending triangle sequence. But on the bright side, I got to use my new yoga mat. (Yes, I need two. One for upstairs, one for downstairs.) I love it. The hubby informed me that the tree design was the most zen like option, so he thought it was the best choice. Hee. Adorable.

I know I should have stopped there and counted it as my strenuous work for the day, but I don't always listen to my better judgement. So I decided to make soup.

Soup in a can is gross. Seriously. I cannot stand it. The only kinds I like are Campbell's Cream of Mushroom or Tomato. The condensed kinds. Made with milk. Period. I bought a bunch of soup for us sick kids yesterday, and literally poured two of them down the sink. Homemade soup is way too easy to have to eat that crap. Even for someone who gets winded from standing right now.

Normally, I'd probably make Cabbage Chicken soup, but we have basically no food in the house, so I had to do a pantry version instead. It was super simple, which is great for my half-functioning taste buds. If you have any carrot and celery, chop a handful up and toss them in before you add the chicken. Less than 10 minutes, and so much better for you than anything in a can.
Sick-kid Soup
3 cups chicken broth
3 oz raw chicken breast, cut into pieces
handful rice sticks or other pasta (about 1/2 serving)
dash pepper
dash sriracha

Bring broth to a medium boil. Add chicken and pasta, let boil again, and reduce to simmer for about 8 minutes or until chicken and pasta are cooked through. Add pepper and a bit of sriracha, stir well. Eat. Feel better.
About 200 calories, 3g fat

No comments:

Post a Comment