Monday, January 25, 2010

Or I could pay for lunch every day...

I think most people have a love/hate relationship with leftovers. I totally do-I like the act of making food almost as much as I like eating, so the prospect of leftovers is pretty unexciting. But I'm a huge fan of taking them for lunch. I mean, I make a lot of food. So we could either eat it all (no), toss it (no), or save money and eat it again the next day (fine).

But over the past few days we've somehow gotten to the point where we have far too many options that we either have to eat like, immediately, or toss. Turns out a giant pot of pumpkin soup is great for a dinner party...not so much for two people. One of whom has eaten it for breakfast and/or lunch 3 of the past 5 days. I'm done. But we also have campechana and beef stroganoff (Delicious, recipe below) to kill.
And because I can't leave well enough alone, I also added some stuffed portabellas (the dried-herb no-mozzarella version, unfortunately. Still so good) and grabbed some 3-minute Trader Joe's brown rice (which, yes, is totally fair cheating) to go with the stroganoff. Which means my whole dinner came together in roughly 6 minutes, which gave me time to sit and watch Jeopardy and enjoy my Christmas presents. (My dear, those olives are ridic. Thanks again.)

The Stroganoff picture is from when we originally ate it this week, by the way. I totally count canned veggies as side dishes. Without shame, thank you. And the hubby likes them cold, so I don't even have to heat them up...which I probably shouldn't admit. Whatever.

Stroganoff
1 package stew/stir fry beef strips
1/2 cup flour (I used Bob's Red Mill GF bread mix. Sometimes you make do with what you've got.)
salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter
2 large shallots, halved and sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup broth
1/2 cup sherry
Worcestershire Sauce
2 packages sliced mushrooms
water as needed
1 container light sour cream

Combine flour, a large pinch each of salt and pepper, and beef strips in a bowl. Toss til well coated.

In large stockpan, heat butter over medium. Saute shallots and garlic a couple of minutes til soft. Add beef, and brown about 4 minutes. Add sherry, and scrape up the browned bits in the pan. Add broth and Worcestershire. Mix well. Stir in mushrooms, reduce to medium low, and cover. Stir occasionally, and add a bit of water if it is sticking or too thick.

Let cook about 5 minutes. Reduce to low and stir in sour cream. Serve over rice or pasta.

Serves about 8. (Make extra rice for leftovers.) About 230 cals, .5g fiber, 13g carbs, 17g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment