Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yes, they're from Brussels. Shocking, I know.

Even after seeing pretty much the grossest thing ever this afternoon, I was still in the mood for steak and brussels. Though I've never exactly been one to lose my appetite...unfortunately.

But not the point. I've liked brussels sprouts since I was little. (I feel like my sister liked them cause they made her feel like a giant. Though that may have been me.) My mom wasn't super creative in her veggie presentations, but she did introduce a lot of them early on, which I assume is why I like them as a whole so much.

But as we know, I like to play in the kitchen and fancy up everything, including my veggies. So when the parallel sent me over a new brussels recipe, it quickly went on the try-immediately list.

I cut it down to a more manageable size, but otherwise followed the Cooking Light recipe pretty closely. The coppa was good, but you could leave it out and it would still be quite tasty as a vegetarian...veggie.

Honey glazed Brussels
About a dozen so brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 package pearl onions
Cooking spray
One oz chopped capocollo or prosciutto
water
large pinch freshly ground black pepper
large pinch salt
About a tbsp honey

Boil water in a medium stock pot. Throw in the onion (unpeeled), let cook about a minute, then fish out with a slotted spoon and rinse with cold water. Add brussels to boiling water, and cook about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse.

Peel the onions (the boiling is meant to make this easier). If they're big, cut them in half.

In large saute pan coated with spray, cook capocollo for a couple of minutes until it browns and gets a bit crunchy. Remove and set aside. Reheat pan, and add onions. Saute about 5 minutes until they start turning golden. Add brussels and about a 1/4 cup water or broth. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked to your liking.

Turn off heat, add salt and pepper, mix gently. Add honey, toss gently. Sprinkle ham over top and serve.
Serves 2-3. For half the recipe, roughly 140 cals, 3g fat, 3g fiber, 20 carbs, 10g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment