Friday, July 2, 2010

And this, my friends, is summer.

Sitting on the patio with a glass of Pinot Gris and my fave guy, when it's warm enough to be in a tank and shorts but not so hot as to be sweating bullets...this works.

Half of our patio is decorated with Chinese lanterns, half will be done tomorrow. Flower pots are set. Add the kiddy pool we're setting up tomorrow, and watch out. Backyard supreme.

...well, maybe not when my husband is shooting a rat on the telephone wire with a sling shot, like he's doing right now.
"Babe, I gotta get an airgun."
Me: blank stare
Hub: I do.

He's now hunting Rat. With a sling shot. I'd ask WTF is going on, but this is seriously hilarious to watch.

Annnyway. Welcome to summer in Bakersfield.

Especially when I grill summer food like this:


Chimichurri Grill
from a Cooking Light recipe
Cilantro, about 2 cups
Flat leaf parsley, about a cup
Sugar, about a tsp
Sriracha, a squirt to your taste
Garlic clove, sliced
5 anchovies (from the tin)
Lime juice, about 3 tbsp
About 1/3 c water
Chicken thighs, skin removed
Jicama, peeled and sliced about 1/2in thick
Bunch of radish, rinsed, tips removed
Bunch green onion, trimmed
Olive oil spray
Salt and pepper

In food processor or blender, combine cilantro through lime juice. (Yes, anchovies are gross. I agree. Just do it. Or use fish sauce. I have no idea how much. 2 tbsp?)

Blend til fine, then slowly add water, while processing, til smooth.

Heat grill. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, spray veggies with oil.

Spray grill with cooking spray. Cook the veggies over medium, the chicken over high, for about 4-5 min a side or until done.

Sprinkle veggies with sea salt and pepper and drizzle chimichurri sauce on everything before serving. I served with brown rice cooked in veggie broth and grilled corn, which all together is so much fiber our stomachs may hate us tomorrow.


Deliciously seasonal. Especially the jicama, which I understand is a pain in the ass to peel, but is surprisingly delish BBQ'd. So lets just forget about the rat and enjoy dinner, shall we? Damn neighbors and their ivy.

-posted out of laziness from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment