Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Daring x3

Daring Kitchen time!

I gotta say, after last month's pate/bread debacle, I was wondering if this was the group for me. Yes, it was weird. But I like weird food. It's not like I'm used to making boxed mac and cheese for dinner every night. I guess I just like making weird food that sounds good, not weird food that my husband won't eat.

And so I got over it. Told myself to buck up, put the control issues aside, and make something I have no say over a whole once a month.

Or maybe it's just cause this month's theme didn't involve animal innards.

Either way, here we go. Daring Cook for the month of July. (How is it July???)

The required stuff:
The July 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by Margie of More Please and Natashya of Living in the Kitchen with Puppies. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make their own nut butter from scratch, and use the nut butter in a recipe. Their sources include Better with Nut Butter by Cooking Light Magazine, Asian Noodles by Nina Simonds, and Food Network online.

Since I may have a love affair with Cooking Light, I went with their option, a deliciously creamy Chicken with Pecan Cream and Mushrooms (If an Asian/typical me option is more your style, the parallel bravely took on Asian Noodle Salad.)

With the exception of my well-known inability to read directions, I followed the recipe exactly, so I won't repost it. I didn't process the nuts quite long enough, I guess, cause they never got past this stage:


Which ended up being ok, cause once I added the water to make the "cream," this was the result:A little bit more texture than I probably should have had, but it worked out. Final review?
Hubby: It's a good sauce. The pecans are sweet...that's good...I dunno, babe, I'm not a food reviewer!
Pammy: Well...do you like it? Not like it? Should I make it again?
Hubby: Yeah, I like it. It's good...I like it. I do. It's like dressed up stroganoff.

Agreed. I'd make it again.







1 comment:

  1. You have got to love your hubby - clearly men can't talk to women in their language. I always go by the fact if the plate is clean then make it again. Your dish looks rich and luscious great work on this challenge. Sorry to hear about the last challenge. Remember you can sit out four challenges a year so if a challenge looks to ecky don't worry.

    Cheers from the Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete