Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I can read good.

Well, I finally went and got myself a library card. For the first time in my adult life, actually (not counting college, and my friends can attest to how few times I used mine then...I can probably count on two hands), and it was long overdue. (heh)

I loved the library when I was little. Nancy Drew and I were like this. But then I grew up, and with the help of Borders—and my debit card—the public library became the home library. Oh, and I discovered TiVo, so the book reading has declined in the past few years. (I love tv. And I'm not ashamed to say it.)

So it wasn't til I saw a book's spine stamped with 'Library' sitting on the Parallel's coffee table last month that I realized I've been wasting money. I mean, seriously? Do you really read most books more than once? The best part about having a big library at home is that it looks cool. And proves we're literate. Both of which are sometimes necessary, but more often than not, it's simply more heavy stuff to move.

And so I've been reading Library books. And as I like to share, here's Part One of my summer book list.

The Handmaid's Tale: Margaret Atwood
Great story. Not at all the ending I wanted. And I'm not sure what ending it was that I wanted/would have made sense...I just know it was not this one. Otherwise, however, the book was fascinating. You realize fairly early on that things are not at all what they seem, and it just keeps unfolding over the course of the tale. Very interesting—both the characters and the story itself. I seriously enjoyed all but the last few pages.

I'm So Happy For You: Lucinda Rosenfeld
I found the book on a Marie Claire magazine recommendation. If you have baby fever, are insecure in your marriage, or secretly despise your best friend, you may relate. I did not. I mean, it was fine for pool reading, which was its purpose, so I shouldn't be so harsh. It had some good insight scattered throughout. And to be fair, I've got a major thing for English chick-lit, and American authors hardly ever do much for me. At least in that genre. So I may be biased. Either way, not my fave.

Eat, pray, love: Elizabeth Gilbert
I'll be honest. I've put off reading this for years, ever since I saw the word 'pray' in the title. I'm agnostic, what can I say? The topic doesn't really do anything for me.

I honestly only read it because my dear friend Kate told me the main character was a bit of a shrew. Instant intrigue, cause I'm twisted like that. Turns out, however, I didn't find her shrewish. A bit self-important, maybe, but still an interesting enough person. I liked her sarcasm and the pace of the writing. And mostly, I liked that the first third of the book is about food. Lots. And lots. Of food. With descriptions like this: "It's pasta, but a shape of pasta I've never seen-big, fresh sheets of pasta folded ravioli-like into the shape (if not exactly the size) of the pope's hat stuffed with a hot, aromatic purée of crustaceans and octopus and squid, served...with fresh cockles and strips of julienned vegetables, all swimming in an olivey, oceany broth. Followed by rabbit, stewed in thyme."

Um. I need not keep going. Want. Immediately.

And I really honestly enjoyed the Pray section. It was fascinating. Here, "pray" actually refers to a more Eastern approach to spirituality, which I can appreciate. I liked it a lot...it made me want to start meditating. As for the Love section...well, I have mixed feelings. Read it and give me your opinion.

Agree? Disagree? Anything you want to recommend for me?

1 comment:

  1. Have you read "Water For Elephants"?? It was my last summer read... Definitely recommend!

    ReplyDelete