Friday, February 19, 2010

It's with two a's, not two o's. Trust me.

For all you mushroom fans out there, I've got a new one for you—chicken sausage and marinara stuffed portabellas. For those anti-mushroomites...well, I'll throw in my wedge salad recipe for you.

Unless you don't like mushrooms because they're in the veggie family...then I've got nothing. But really, eat your veggies. Your mom would want you to.

Also...I've come to notice there's a bit of disagreement about how to spell portabella/portobello. Alternate spellings bug me...I'm a big fan of 'theatre,' for example, and think everyone should spell it that way. It's so much more dignified...so if this sort of thing also bugs you, here. And listen to me from now on. I'm always right. (I know this because I cheat. Google is my best friend. As a recent article in Esquire pointed out...why spend time arguing when I can have the answer in 15 seconds?)

Anyway, I-as usual-digress. Seriously, this dinner was absolute ridiculousness-crazy flavors and far too much food. Not that we didn't eat it all...I'm just saying.


Chicken Sausage Stuffed Portabellas
Stuffing Portabellas (2 large or 6 small/medium), gills removed
2 Portabella Chicken Sausages, chopped into small pieces (or any sausage)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Half an onion, chopped fine
Olive oil
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
pinch of tarragon (or other herbs)
Salt and pepper
8 cups raw baby spinach

Heat oven to 425. Saute sausage, garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil for a couple minutes until soft. Remove from heat, let cool a bit. Mix in marinara, nuts, cheese and herbs (including a pinch of salt and pepper).

Place mushrooms gill side up on baking sheet, and spray with cooking spray or use a bit of olive oil to coat both sides. Fill mushrooms with mixture. Bake for 15 minutes. While they cook, steam or saute spinach. Salt to taste. Serve mushrooms warm on bed of spinach.


'Wedge' Salad
Head of romaine, cleaned and ends removed.
Brianna's Blue Cheese dressing
Blue cheese crumbles
Bacon pieces
cherry tomatoes, halved
green onion stalk, sliced thinly

Take the romaine and cut in half lengthwise (you can cut width-wise, too, for smaller/more servings). Arrange leaves together on plates, and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment