Friday, February 26, 2010

Healthy Week, day five

Since it's Healthy Week, I figured it was as good a time as any to take care of some other things relating to my health-medically speaking, at least. So I made an appointment with the chiropractor, which will hopefully help my screaming-in-pain-for-weeks-now neck (I just have to make it through the weekend), and finally went to the lab at Kaiser today to get some blood tests I've been putting off for, oh, months now.

It's not for anything major...I hope...just making sure my old lady joints and weird skin aren't underlying issues of anything else. Anyway. I won't get the results for a few days, but my little trip did have an immediate result...it reinforced that I am officially old. Cause, seriously? The guy who took my blood was, like, 12. I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking him if he was old enough to be a tech.

He was great, btw. I only look like a casual heroin user (which is good, for these veins). And as he was a goofball, it actually ended up being a rather pleasant experience. So yay, 12 year old lab tech! You win!

Which brings us to...

Day 5:Yay Me!
See above.
Water, water, water.
24g fiber
Went to lunch at Flamin' Skewers, which has the.best.fries.on.the.planet. and only ate 7 off the hubby's plate. I counted.
Great jog (again) at the gym. I'm getting better at it.

Day 5:Damnit Pam!
I know the exact moment the night went downhill. It's when I walked in the front door and thought, "Wow...I should drink a beer in the shower and relive freshman year of college a little." All over at that point. But it was the best beer in a while, let me tell you. It even made cleaning the bathroom post-shower more enjoyable.
One Coor's Light
Rootstock Zin. Tsk tsk tsk.
Aaaand I found the chips.

Dinner, at least, was fabulous. Chicken Piccata over Quinoa. I'm out of gluten-free flour, so I decided to make Chicken Piccata 2.0. And I ended up liking it more than the usual, so here we go.

Chicken Piccata 2.0
Olive oil
2 6oz chicken breasts
salt
pepper
garlic powder
1/2 onion, halved and thinly sliced
About 3/4 cup chicken broth
Juice from one lemon
About 3 tbsp drained capers

Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Saute on medium high about 3 minutes a side to brown. Reduce to medium low, add onion, and saute about 5 minutes, turning chicken at least once. Add broth and cook at a low simmer about 8-10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove and keep warm. Keep onion and broth simmering about 5 minutes or until broth is mostly reduced.

Add lemon juice, mix well, let simmer a couple of minutes. Add chicken back to pan, add capers, and move around a bit. Serve over rice, noodles, whatever...I used quinoa cooked in broth, and it was fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment