Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Seasonally challenged

Now that it's spring...wait, is it spring? Not til March 21st? Hmmm...ok...let's rethink this...

Now that the damn groundhog has predicted another 6 weeks of winter, I suppose it's only right for me to break out some solid winter recipes. And I think roasting is to winter what grilling is to summer, so that's an excellent starting place.

I saw a recipe for roasted carrots and parsnips in passing last weekend, which sounded great (I love roasted veggies), so I figured I'd experiment a bit. Cause I don't know about you, but I had no idea how to cook a parsnip. I didn't even know how to prep a parsnip. So after a quick flip through my bible (The Joy of Cooking, buy one.), it turns out it's no big deal. And they are quite tasty, let me tell you.

Oh, and if you want to cut down on prep time, you can use a regular onion (cut it in 8 big chunks) instead of peeling the little ones. This is totally not a precise recipe, by the way, and it doesn't need to be. Use more or less of what you want. So good with turkey meatloaf.

Roasted Winter Veggies
About a half a bag of baby carrots (a couple cups)
One turnip, cut into cubes
1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and cubed
Bag of pearl onions or a couple cups worth of small sweet onions, peeled and halved if they're on the big side
olive oil
rosemary
thyme
dill or other herbs
salt and pepper
broth or water as needed

Preheat oven to 400. In large bowl, combine veggies with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Sprinkle with a hefty pinch of rosemary and a 1/2 tsp of thyme or so (you can use a lot of both of these, it won't hurt anything), and about a tsp each of salt and pepper. I also added a large pinch of dill weed (hee), which was great, but you can really use any herbs you like in this.

Coat a baking pan with cooking spray, and pour in veggie mix. Spread across pan, and cook about 20 minutes.

Stir a bit (or just shake the pan), and add a splash of broth or water if it's sticking to the pan too much. Cook another 10-20 minutes until the carrots are to your liking.

Roughly four large servings. About 170 cals, 4g fat, and 8g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment