Saturday, February 6, 2010

Take two.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but the plus side of cooking haphazardly is that sometimes accidents work out beautifully. Current example? This week's version of one of my fave CL recipes, Brown Rice Salad, which always tend to change a bit depending on what ingredients I'm currently out of. Last time I made it it was carrotless and light on the lime. This time, however, I found myself out of mint, cucumber and sesame oil, which is normally a fairly integral part of the dish.

But what're you gonna do...I went with it. Chili oil was a fabulous switch, which I believe is going to be the new norm. It's also light on the rice, heavy on the sprouts, which cuts cals and adds good texture. Plus, I used the Trader Joe's frozen brown rice and pre-shredded carrot, so this was super, super quick.

Brown Rice Salad 2.0
4 lime halves
fish sauce
canola oil
chili oil
several cloves garlic (2-4), minced
fresh ginger, chopped (about a tsp)
salt
2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
handful cilantro, chopped
large handful shredded or chopped carrot
bean sprouts
about 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
Cilantro to garnish


In small bowl, combine the juice from 3 of the lime halves, about a tbsp canola oil, a splash of fish oil (about a tbsp), and a bit of chili oil (tsp or so). Whisk in garlic, ginger and pinch of salt. Set aside.

In large bowl, combine chicken, rice, green onion, cilantro, carrot, and a handful of bean sprouts. Toss with dressing.

Slice remaining lime half. Arrange a handful of bean sprouts on each plate. Top with rice mix. Top with a sprinkle of peanuts, cilantro, and lime slices.
Serves 4. About 335 cals, 11g fat, 4g fiber, 35g carbs, 28g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment