Monday, November 2, 2009

Feeling loverly.

If you have awesome friends like I do, they pay attention when you bitch about things like not having a meat tenderizer. And buy you one. So K, thank you. I owe you one. I prefer paying in food, beer, and/or dirty martinis. Take your pick, love.

As long as I'm dedicating things to those I love, this one is for the hubby. Our first anniversary is this weekend, so I'm making his favorites this week. Yes, I'm Suzy Homemaker. If he's lucky, I'll even iron something.

Ok, that's not actually going to happen, but maybe I'll wear an apron and heels while I cook. Of course, first I'd have to buy an apron...this could be interesting.

Chicken Parmesan is tomorrow. Can't wait.

Chicken Picatta
10-12oz skinless, boneless chicken breast
About a 1/4 cup flour (I use rice flour or gluten-free baking flour)
About a tablespoon butter
Splash olive oil
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 cup white wine (chardonnay or pinot grigio are good)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (a little less than one lemon)
2 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
cornstarch (about two teaspoons)
2 tablespoons capers (I use a bit more, but we really like capers)
6 or so cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
Chopped italian parsley, for garnish

Boil 2 cups chicken broth. Add rice, reduce to simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat, keep covered til ready to serve.

In the meantime, lay chicken between pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap and pound with a tenderizer (since we have one now) til thinner. On a plate or shallow bowl, combine flour, a pinch each of salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mix.

Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken about 3-4 minutes per side until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan, place on plate and cover with foil. Add wine, lemon juice, capers, and garlic to pan and bring to a simmer. In small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup broth and cornstarch, whisk til smooth, then stir into sauce. Cook a couple minutes until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chicken over rice. Spoon on some sauce and top with parsley.
*I like this with rice, but it's also great over cooked pasta.
Serves three. (Two with leftovers)
About 480 cals, 9g fat, 1g fiber, 33g protein, 66g carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment