Wednesday, November 18, 2009

20 minute meals mean more time to drink.

You know those days where you don't quite feel like you've woken up on the wrong side of bed, but you're still annoyed by pretty much everything? When even the thought of talking to your best friends on ichat is a little more than you can bear? (Sorry, Parallel...I love you!)

Those are the days I want to go home and hide in my couch(yes, in. It's like a cloud). Or drink. Or both, preferably. But since I had a hair color appointment after work, I figured I'd let the impending pampering cheer me up. Especially when I remembered the wine bar next door to my salon lets you take wine to go. Score.

So a (very expensive) glass of Cakebread, new highlights, and a quick grocery trip later, I was finally home. In a much better mood. But since it was close to 7pm, I wasn't in much of a mindset to cook anything extravagant. Luckily, I had planned on something easy.

Thank you, Cooking Light, for your 20 minute recipes. Last night we tried their Spicy Sweet Pork.

We decided this tasted like it came from the same island as Jamaican Chicken with Mango salsa(ohh, I should make that soon)...just the other side of the island. The less popular one.

I tried this pretty much exactly as written (I used hot salsa and added green onion to the garnish), but next time I'd add some chopped red onion and maybe marinate the pork in the sauce before cooking it. But it was good. Fast little pantry meal, really. We already had everything but the pork, and you could totally substitute chicken breast if you have that. And you could use pretty much any jam or preserves you have. I'm a fan of easy on days like this.

We just ate it with spinach salad with Raspberry Pomegranate balsamic, but mashed potatoes or rice would make good sides. But by the time I realized that, I was starving and ready to eat already.

Oh well. Three chocolate chip cookies more than made up for the lack of carbs later last night. They're awesome/evil like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment