Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's just meat...in a loaf.

So for the third and final chapter of anniversary week happy-husband food, I broke out the turkey/spinach meatloaf, which always goes over well. What is it with guys and meatloaf? I'm convinced it's some Leave it to Beaver/1950's thing that's become ingrained into their DNA over the past few generations. So weird. I mean...it's good and homey, but...it's just meat. In a loaf. (Which freaks one of my best friends out, btw. Some day I'll dedicate an entry to non AW-approved foods...it's quite an entertaining list.)

Ground beef and I don't always get along all that well, so I made the switch to lean ground turkey for pretty much everything long ago. The flavor is a little different, but I really like it, and the fat and cal count are both lower. Which really just means I can serve a more fattening side. Stanky fries, in this case. Mmmmmmm. That said, feel free to substitute beef if you want.

And with that, I'm done cooking for the week. The husband and I are off to the coast for the weekend (many thanks to my fabulous mother-in-law for the room!), which means lots of eating out...I love restaurants. I get to eat well and I get to be served, both of which rock my world. SO excited.

Turkey-Spinach Meatloaf
1 package lean ground turkey (I used Italian seasoned tonight, but I usually use plain)
1 egg
1 egg white
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
big handful spinach, roughly chopped
big pinch each salt and pepper
small handful basil, thinly sliced
splash of Worcestershire sauce (2 tsp or so)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs*
ketchup (I used low-sugar and it was fine)

*I don't use these, but if you can, I recommend it. It helps the texture a lot.

Preheat oven to 350.
In large bowl, mix everything but ketchup. Use your hands to make sure it's well blended. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray, and press meat mix lightly into pan. (If you don't have one, just spray a cooking sheet and shape it into a loaf on there.)

Squeeze ketchup over entire loaf (maybe a half cup or so). Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let sit a few minutes, and slice into 6 slices. Remove carefully with spatula to serve.
Per slice (without breadcrumbs), about 210 cals, 7g fat, 3g carbs, 20g protein

2 comments:

  1. Meat loaf has always freaked me out as well. My hubby has asked me to make it, but I refuse. You are a better woman than me Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s... have fun on the coast, I'm totally jealous :)

    ReplyDelete