Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Take two.

I know I like to act like a master chef, but even I...hide your shock...am known to screw things up royally from time to time.

I have been excited to try grilled pizza, which my buddy the bierbitzch turned me onto, for about a week and a half. So because he raves about it, and promised this video from allrecipes would make it easy as...well, pie...I went for it.

He's a doll, for after I sent him a pic of my initial result last week, his exact reply was "Grilled pizza takes 2 to three times to perfect. The crust is finicky." And gluten-free pizza dough IS finicky, more so than most. But seriously? This is just sad.

So we're trying again. This time I made crust from a mix, so it would start as raw dough instead of pre-shaped. Again...gluten-free dough is not the easiest to work with. And I don't bake. All the measuring and mixing, the kneading and the mess? I'm good, thanks. So the expectation for this was interesting at best.

As the dough 'rose,' I got the ingredients gathered up. I love Hawaiian pizza, so I decided to try a Pammy-version...
1/2 cup marinara
1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup pineapple, cut into small pieces
1 oz prosciutto
1/8 cup toasted pine nuts
couple slices raw onion
couple leaves of basil, torn into small pieces
(The husband put fresh garlic on his)

I used the Arrowhead Mills pizza dough crust mix, added quite a bit of white rice flour (it was sticky!) and followed the directions on the box. Grilled a couple minutes a side, added the toppings, grilled a few more, and voila!


The dough recipe makes two pizzas, so I just rolled the rest into strips, sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled well with garlic powder, salt, and a bit of red pepper flakes, and baked me up some delicious breadsticks.

Pssh, and I say I can't bake...

No comments:

Post a Comment