Tuesday, November 17, 2009

If it weren't for work, I'd be the best housewife ever.

I feel like maybe I'm shortchanging myself on the whole I Don't Bake attitude. Or maybe I've just gotten lucky lately. Since I committed myself to not cheating this week, I made us a little treat to help me through it. All thanks to Ms. Crocker, who now makes gluten-free brownie, cake and cookie mixes.

Of course, the whole time I was adding walnuts to the recipe, I had Alton Brown in my head warning me about throwing off the delicate balance of ingredients...and the dough was kinda...crumbly...so as usual, I wasn't expecting greatness. And didn't get it. But, to be fair, they're good. The flavor is there, they didn't burn...all in all impressive. For me. And I got to wear an apron while I made them. Adorable.


So by the time the husband found out one of his football buddies needed to drop by for something, I was wearing an apron over a Raiders t-shirt, a batch of cookies were in the oven, and I was chopping potatoes, garlic and onion for a crazy comfort-food inspired dinner.

All while drinking a dirty martini. Complete ridiculousness.

I took the apron off before he got there. I didn't want him to think I had totally reverted back to 1954.

Afterward, as I finished up the potatoes, the husband got to work on a salad. Nice work, babe. Quite a meal. Salad, everything potatoes, and Sherry Chicken? Well balanced and perfect for when it's chilly out. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.

Sherry Chicken
1 lb chicken breasts, pounded thin
garlic powder
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp oregano
pepper
cooking spray
1 tbsp butter
half an onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 package sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup sherry, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (I use nonfat but a lot of times it curdles a little when you add it to hot sauces)

Sprinkle chicken well with garlic powder, Parmesan, oregano, and pepper. Brown in cooking spray about 4 minutes a side over medium high. Remove from heat, keep warm.

Add 1tbsp butter to pan. Saute sliced onion and garlic about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, saute until they start getting soft. Add 1/2 cup Sherry. Cook til everything is soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken back in. Add remaining sherry and oregano. Cover, simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt. Mix well. Serve over potatoes, rice, or pasta. Serves 4.
About 220 cals, 6g fat, 1g fiber, 3g carbs, 33g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment