Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Failsafe

Everyone, no matter your skill level, should have at least one go-to meal—one you know so well you never need to reference a recipe. More than one, preferably, but one will suffice. Especially important if you're single and have potential suitors to impress. Trust me. People love being cooked for.

And this is a good one-it's always met with 'mmmm's (not that I ever cooked it before I met you, honey...). It's actually from the first real cookbook (thanks Mama!) I ever got, a big book called something super clever like 'Chicken Recipes'...but it didn't disappoint. I should pull it out, actually-everything I've tried from it has been good.

Anyway, without further ado—Chicken Lime Pinwheels. Good with crisp white wine, and I usually serve with rice mixed with a pinch of lime rind before serving (I used quinoa this time).

Shocking that my 'signature' dish is stuffed chicken, citrus, garlic and cilantro, I know. What can I say? I know what I like.
Chicken Lime Pinwheels
About 16oz chicken tenders or steaks, pounded thin
About 2 tbsp butter, softened
Small handful cilantro, finely chopped
About 3 cloves garlic, minced
Cooking spray
Rind from one big or two small limes (save a good pinch for rice or other side dish)
Juice from one big or two small limes
About 2 tbsp brown sugar

Mix butter, garlic, and cilantro til smooth. Spread evenly across one side of each piece of chicken.

Take a piece of chicken, and roll it up from the thin end to the fatter end (so the butter mix is inside). Secure with one or two toothpicks.

In a wok or large sauté pan, heat cooking spray. Add chicken, reduce to medium high. Cook about 4 minutes, turn about 1/3 over, cook 3 minutes, turn remaining 1/3, and cook about 3 minutes or til cooked through.

Remove chicken, keep warm.

Return pan to heat, add lime juice, rind, and sugar. Bring to a low boil, cook about 2 minutes. Remove toothpicks and slice the chicken into half inch or so slices. Pour sauce over chicken before serving.
Roughly 275 cals per 4oz of chicken.

5 comments:

  1. I read an article the other day about how much many people hate cilantro. I don't trust people that aren't cilantro lovers. You're good people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL the parallel sent me that article cause she is one. Crazy East Coasters! (And Al jumps in to defend herself in 5...4...3...2...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. UM, cilantro = ew! it tastes like soap!! And every meal I have substituted fresh parsley for cilantro tastes way better! Weirdo west coasters putting cilantro in everything....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're WRONG! But I love you madly all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PARSLEY-CILANTRO THROWDOWN... BOBBY FLAY STYLE... IT'S ON!

    ReplyDelete