Thursday, April 1, 2010

My house smells like Thanksgiving

I suppose for April Fool's Day I should give you some sort of horrendous recipe and pretend it's fabulous...but I refuse. I don't really buy into the whole 'let's lie all day for FUN!' business. Or maybe I'm just old and crotchety. And I'm ok with that. (Speaking of...23 days til my birthday. I already got/ordered/convinced-hubby-to-buy-me his gift, so surprises would be appreciated. Just saying.)

I have some catching up to do—we've eaten well this week—so I'll backtrack tomorrow while enjoying my Gossip Girl/The Hills marathon on Netflix (the husband only has a few more weeks of working weekends, so I have to take advantage while I can). I'll give you last night's feast in the meantime.

I bought a couple cornish game hens intending to make this, but as usual, I was out of a key ingredient (butter) and had to make some changes...and since it's impossible that everything go smoothly, I also ended up having to adjust my intended salad, cause I discovered we were out of pistachios. Seriously, for like the first time ever. I live in nut-growing country, people. We get more pistachios for Christmas from clients (such as these jalapeno flavored delights) than one would think possible...we're never out. But...I made do. Walnuts would have worked, but peanuts were what we had. Not my recommendation, but not bad, either.

And because I have a bad habit of asking the hubby if he wants any additional sides well after I've started cooking, Mr. I-Need-a-Starch-Please convinced me to throw together a risotto last minute. (I did ask.) And it was delicious-sauteed the onion, garlic and rice in vermouth and chicken broth, then added fresh chopped basil, thyme, chives, S&P, and a dab of light sour cream at the end. Some days I impress even myself, it's awesome. Especially since after all was said and done, we turned the bird bones (carcasses? ew.) into homemade stock. I'll let you know how it turned out when I figure out what to do with it.

In completely unrelated news, what do we think of this potential signature? I'm not at all sold on it (especially until I get the box around it off). Ideas welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment