Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Latkes and other reasons I wish I were Jewish

The secret to making good Jewish food as a non Jew? Using a box (seriously, the Matzo Ball Soup mix is fantastic). Oh, and Google.

I found this Latke recipe on NYCNosh.com, and only made a couple adjustments. They could have cooked longer and at lower heat than I did, so I'm going to include their directions on that part and recommend you do as I say and not as I do. Just call me your own personal guinea pig.

Latkes
3 large or 4 medium potatoes, peeled
1 onion
2 eggs, well beaten
1.5 Tablespoons matzoh meal (or flour-I used Bisquick)
large pinch salt (a little less than a tsp)
1/4 tsp pepper


Cut half of the potatoes into small chunks. Boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes) and mash. Sprinkle flour on top of this.

In a large bowl, shred the onion. Then shred the other two potatoes into the onion, and mix. Get a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth, place the shredded potatoes and onion in the middle, then squeeze as by twisting until no more liquid can be extracted. Return to a dry bowl and add egg, pepper, and salt. Add the mashed potatoes and mix.

Form into palm-sized patties that are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches high. Fry these patties in 1/4 to 1/2 inches of corn oil (do NOT use olive oil) . The patties will need to cook for about 5 minutes on the first side, so if they do more than go slightly brown after a minute or two, your oil is too hot. Flip after five minutes with a spatula and fork and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Drain thoroughly on paper towels. Serve with applesauce, salt, and sour cream. Makes approximately 10 latkes.

No comments:

Post a Comment